Thursday, March 19, 2015

The better times..

As the younger sibling, responsibility was something I didn't handle well. Or better put, I didn't want to handle well. But that changed with Chinky.

Chinky was an orphan kitten who we adopted a couple of years back. It was not the first time that I had begged my parents to adopt a stray, but it was the first time that they had accepted. They had to, given how adorable Chinky was! A couple of brown patches on a pristine white cat! 

Mum was incredible in how she took care of Chinky during the initial few days, when she'd be scared looking around the house for her mother; she wouldn't eat and had to fed with a dropper and had to be cradled to sleep. Soon she grew stronger and started venturing out, exploring around our house. Chinky would often get into fights with other stray cats or get chased by dogs. And I would always go rescue her. We'd give her a bath and dress her wounds if any. As soon as she'd heal, history would be repeated!!

In my final year of engineering, there was a time when things weren't going too well. Submissions due, team mates not cooperating, running around for decent notes and of course, exams! It seemed too hard to handle, all of it at once! And back at home, Mum was away for a few days. This meant cleaning was on me and cooking on Dad (oh no!). Miserable times! Looking back, it's funny how I let those things get to me.

So one day, late into the night, I hear Chinky growling. Another fight. I run out and find that she has cornered a cat twice her size. Some nerve she had! I pick up my fur ball and she hisses back but doesn't fight me. I carry her back home and in the light I could see some war scars. Nothing unusual. I give her a bath. Now that was bad, for both of us. Cats hate water, that's an understatement! Bathing her by myself was really difficult. Soon it was over. I stayed up till the wee hours drying her and then put her to sleep.

Next day was thankfully a holiday. But Chinky woke me up mewing for food. And after food, she wanted to play! I had to get up because I couldn't let her get bored and go out. While I'd mop, Chinky would be nearby, playing with her reflection on the floor! (Boy did I do a good job mopping!) Wondering how it could run as fast as her! When she'd get thirsty with all the running around, she'd drink some dirty water from the mopping bucket! Playing hide 'n' seek was the best. It would be so funny when she'd slip on the smooth floor while running. During lunch, the smell of fish would drive her crazy. She just couldn't get enough of it. But when it came to eating roti, the tantrums the little one would throw! I would have to chew it for her first! Gross? Not so much then. While studying, she'd play with my pens, help turn pages or just lie flat on the book not letting me read. And while sleeping, she'd quietly climb into my bed, fitting herself on me, like she's a part of me!

The day with her was just amazing! She helped me learn to appreciate things which really matter. Despite her injuries, she'd enjoy the small things in life, savoring the present. What's best was that she helped me forget about the things I considered as 'problems' and instead helped me focus on working on things I could do and what was in my control. However I knew that when Chinky would be better, she'd be out being a daredevil, taking on 'dangers' of the big bad world. And if  she could, so could I! But till then, while we'e at home, let's just have some fun!

I will never forget the amazing times I spent with her and in the future after I've got a place of my own from https://housing.com/in I will make sure to mop the floors squeaky clean so that Chinky never stops chasing her reflection and slipping sometimes while doing so!

No comments:

Post a Comment